Week Two: A Fruitful Begining
It’s official. Never have I been more excited to be a part of the Crossroads Farmers Market team than I was last Wednesday. Not that there haven’t been amazing, gratifying, memorable, or downright delicious days in the past– there certainly have. But the vendors that comprise the 2010 market lineup– and the abundance they brought with them– sent me home with a full stomach, an even fuller fridge, and renewed energy for the next twenty-one weeks!
Want in on the action? Here’s what’s cooking this week:
- Scapes! Those who have discovered the garlic scape will back me up: the scape, known for its starring role in garlic scape pesto, is a seasonal delicacy not to be missed. Snatch them up at Musachio Produce and Sligo Creek Farm.
- Lots of greens from all of our produce vendors. Kale was an especially big hit last week. Stop by Truffula Seed Produce and Tuckey’s Mountain Grown to stock up. Once you’ve stir fried and sauteed as much kale as you can muster, bake up a bunch of kale chips! Drizzled with olive oil and (optional) seasoning of your choice and baked at 400 degrees for about ten minutes, kale chips make for a quick, tasty, and fantastically healthy snack.
- Strawberries from Sligo Creek Farm. I type this email with the smell of strawberry rhubarb muffins baking in the background. Need I say more?
- Speaking of fruit, Three Springs Orchard’s empire and fuji apples still had the perfect crispness and crunch. Their fuji apple juice was an amazing thirst quencher on an exceptionally hot market day!
- For dessert this week: try a caramel churro from Cazuela Bakery or a banana cream pastry from Chapina bakery. But really, there’s no going wrong.
Crossroads Summer Concert Series
This week, market favorite Yusef will get things grooving with three straight hours of Conga drumming. Bring your drums, have your kids bring them instruments, and join in!
Vote NOW for America’s Favorite Farmers Market!
We came in 4th last year, thanks to you. Please help us do it again! Click here to cast your vote for the Crossroads Farmers Market in the American Farmland Trust’s annual “America’s Favorite Farmers Markets” contest. Your vote matters!
June 16th Grand Opening Ceremony Postponed
We’ve decided to reschedule the grand opening ceremony for a yet undetermined date this summer. With limited staff capacity, our primary responsibility is to ensuring the success of the market, and right now we’ve chosen to focus our time and energy exclusively on outreach and growing the market. But please still plan on joining us that week for a community celebration with music, prizes, activities for kids, a raffle, and more!
Come down tomorrow from 3-7pm and see it all for yourself! (And grab your umbrella– our vendors will be there rain or shine).